Saturday, April 24, 2010

Home for two weeks today



















I love Barney. And, I don't mean the kids. Mommy and Barney became friends a long time ago. This is the only American show that ADrian will watch for a little while. At any time we might find Adrian cuddled up to one of his sisters. Or we might get kicked out of our bed at 6 a.m. when the three kiddos take it over.
































A queen size bed is NOT big enough when you have 3 kids.

















Adrian loves hanging with the neighborhood kiddos.
















And , he loves popsicles.


















You might think the only thing worthy of a lick like this is something with sugar.


















Nope, it's just ranch dressing. YUM!!!


















The shades may be pink but that doesn't make me any less cool!

















I promised myself that I wouldn't get this far behind in posting. As someone who is obsessed with reading other people's blogs, I promised that I wouldn't let my readers down and go so long between posts. Oh well, I did.

The first week home was so smooth. Maybe it was because I had help 24-7 or maybe it was
because I was still running on adrenaline. Not sure why but all I know is that this last week has been tough. The weather I think has really done me in and I started with a migraine/sinus headache last Sat and then it evolved in to a cold by this Sat. I'm thankful that the headache is better though.

This week was my first week with no help . Well, that is not entirely true. My sweet Sunday school class has brought us dinner three nights this week. What a blessing!!! I'm not sure what I would've done without it. I made the comment last week that I felt guilty for them bringing us dinner. However, when I woke up Monday morning feeling awful I was soooooo thankful I had dinner coming Monday night. AnnaLi went back to school on Tuesday and this was a week with our normal, full schedule. Adrian didn't handle her going back to school very well. He was fine when we left her in her preschool room but when we got to the car to leave, he was not liking that. He did not want to leave his LiLi behind. Poor little guy. I finally got him in the carseat and was able to drive away. After we drove off, he kept saying, "Baba be back. Jie Jie be back. LiLi be back." He just wanted to reassure himself that everyone was coming back.

He has really adjusted well. He sleeps through the night from 8:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. He takes a two hour nap in the afternoon. He eats well. His new American food that he loves is ranch dressing. Today at lunch I caught him licking it off of his plate like a dog. I know that I shouldn't encourage it but I had to get a picture. He loves to play with the neighborhood kids and doesn't miss a beat. He is right there in the middle of all of them. And, the neighborhood kids love him. They are so sweet to him and watch out for him. He knows that the routine is to go outside once MaiLin gets home from school. If we don't go immediately, he gets upset. His language is developing fast. His newest phrase is, "Mama hold me". Of course, I didn't love that at all. HOw could I resist that smile and those eyelashes. He amazes me that he is now basically translating from Chinese to English. He'll say , "Mama Chee cha, car". He does this with several things he will interchange the Chinese and English phrases. Amazing.

HOwever, some of the English things that we have tried to teach him have not exactly translated as we thought. For instance, we kept telling him that Baba was going to work. Well, he heard it as "quack". So, he would go to the door and say, "Baba Quack". Then we were trying to explain to him that we were going to stay home. He came to me and said, "Mama (insert hyperventilating noises)." I asked Chris, "What is wrong with him?". Chris was trying to emphasize the "H" sound in home I guess and it came out as a hyperventilating sound for the word "Home". We will get there even though we may miss a few things along the way :).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shawna ~ I followed the link posted on the New Day blog back to your site. It is SO fun to see how well Adrian is doing. I love getting to see the children in their home settings. And it's clear to me that Adrian has been blessed with a loving, Christian family.

    We are adoptiong Khloe from New Day, and will be traveling in just over 2 weeks. We're so excited to finally meet our daughter face to face...what a priceless moment that will be.

    I loved reading about how well Adrian is doing. The 'ranch dressing' photos are a hoot! He's such a sweet little guy. I'm amazed at how wonderful he is doing with his English in such a short time. They really do a wonderful job at New Day helping to prepare our children for their families.

    I thought it was absolutely precious how Adrian was so concerned that his "baba, jiejie and lili" be back after you dropped his sister off at school...what a hunny. He's still trying to reassure himself. My heart just sunk when I read that part, realizing that he is still taking in the dynamics of what family is all about and making sure that you always return back home to one another. So precious.

    Congratulations on your newest bundle of joy. He is truly a blessing and I'm so glad I got to check in via your blog. Have a nice weekend and God bless! <><

    ~Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does melt your heart with the flash of his smile! I can't believe how calm Emma was with him being there at lunch last week - definitely needs to be a new routine! :0)
    I am so excited to see him fitting into your neighborhood routine and fun. You have such a great neighborhood support system and the kids just all look in love with him already. :0)
    I can't believe you have been home two weeks already!! We are so thankful for you and your family and God's faithfulness!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the update...especially all of the pictures! I can't wait to meet the little man! I'm so glad things are going so well and I'll be praying that you start to feel better soon.

    Love,

    Erica

    ReplyDelete