Wednesday, March 31, 2010

March 31

Today is Wednesday and it is the first "normal" day I feel like we've had since we've been here. We actually set foot outside the hotel for 10 min. We walked out the front door and felt the first cool breezes since we've been here. We thought Hohhot would be very cold (it is about 40 degrees outside) but let me tell you, they spare no expense at heating the hotel. I have never been so hot . We are wearing short sleeves to be able to stand it. I can't see how the people stand it. It is about 80-85 in most places here. Our hotel room has got to be 75 degrees all the time and stuffy.

AnnaLi is much better. Yesterday was rough. She was hurting with stomach cramps and tummy issues and cried a lot. She was also very weak. It is so good to see her up and around. Chris even took the girls swimming this afternoon in the indoor pool while Adrian and I napped.

This hotel is very upscale and not very kid friendly. I have only seen one other child in the entire hotel. Let me just say that we draw a lot of stares with three Chinese children and one of them different than most people are used to seeing. Don't get me wrong, no one has said anything and most people have been very sweet to the girls and Adrian. The pool is a health club and very ritzy so I'm not sure they were glad to see 2 kids. OH well.

Adrian is doing much better today. He has been going to bed better and waking up happy. The only time that he cries is if we leave the hotel and then come back. I think that he thinks when we leave we may be taking him back. When that doesn't happen he gets scared and sad again. Then he wants BaBa to hold him and comfort him. He doesn't really want me so much in those moments. It is really good to see him attaching so closely to Chris right now. I really expected that to happen and it has given me time to help the girls adjust. And, I've been taking care of the girls (especially LiLi) since they have been so sick. Today Adrian has offered us kisses on the cheek and ask for us to hold him. He comes to us to get us to do things for him. It is really amazing how far along he is on bonding with us. It is really a testimony to G's goodness and faithfulness. It is just another G thing. Today is really day 3 with us--the magic day 3. Most adoption specialist will tell you that the children turn a corner around day 3. That doesn't mean that it will be easy from there on out but they do seem to begin to accept their new situation.

Since we have been so sick , I haven't really been able to tell you much about Adrian . Here are some things that we know about him:
1.) HE LOVES TO EAT. He is really tiny (like MaiLin) but he eats ALL the time. We have no idea where he puts it. He likes: red beans, garbanzo beans, watermelon, oranges, bananas, apples, honeydew, grapes, lunch meat, vanilla yogurt, milk, bacon, canned chicken, cucumbers, carrots, chips, french fries, cookies, loves m&ms, dum-dums, and pretty much anything that won't eat him first. He doesn't like McDonald hamburgers though.

2.) He loves music. The way that we've been able to build a bridge between the language barrier. At preschool they sang all songs in English and one of his favorites is the wheels on the bus. When he gets frustrated he'll say "Mama/Baba round round". He also likes "Where is thumpkin" and the "ABC song". He'll walk around singing to himself. Too cute.

3.) We just introduced him to Barney and he loves it. Did I ever tell you how much Barney is my friend :)? He became a good friend of mine when MaiLin was this age.

4.) He loves balls, cars, blocks, play-doh, and puzzles. We have a window in our hotel where the kids can stand and see down below. He'll stand in the window and scream "Mama/Baba chee cha (car/bus)". He will search all the baby books for the cars and start screaming. He is all boy. But I will have to say that MaiLin still holds the busy/active trophy. Not sure anyone will hold a candle to her. So, I guess she prepared me for the boy.

5.) He is so loving and compassionate. If the girls are crying he wants to know why. He is also giving us kisses today.

6.) He is really an easy kid. He gets his teeth brushed without complaint. He goes to bed by just putting him in the crib and then he talks or sings to himself. He eats by himself and tells you when he needs to potty. He plays by himself and is just generally happy. I hope we don't ruin him :).

7.) He has a smile that lights up the room.

8.) He does not like attention brought to his face. It has really soft hair on it and MaiLin touched it and he tried to hit her. His foster mother said that people would touch his face and talk about the hair (which in Chinese is similar to Mao Mao) and he would be quick to tell them that his name was "Ming Ming" . She said that he used to like his nevus but now does not like anyone to mention it.

9.) He is so smart and doesn't miss a thing. He is repeating things in English and is saying some phrases on his on like "Mama do it" "MaMa/Baba be back". He is also responding some to his name Adrian. We call him Ming Ming most of the time (pronounced Meeyung Meeyung) . It is so cute to here him say it. He calls MaiLin Jie jie and AnnaLi "LoLo" (his pronunciation of LiLi). He is signing and saying "more" with a little Chinese inflection that is adorable. He puts tones with every English word much like the Chinese tones. It is so cute.

10.) He is a huge blessing. Despite the trials of the past few days, we are reminded that this is G's will for our family and no matter what happens , he will get us through.

I love one of the comments on the blog: "G Will will not take you where his grace cannot sustain you" (I think that is how it went since I can't see the comments). Thanks Pam for sending those to us. It has been a lifeline to home.

The pics are just some of the happier moments of our past few days.

5 comments:

  1. I am SO glad that things are better. Bless your heart! You guys have had some rough days.I am SO glad that Adrian is already showing positive signs with attachment.Elissa did not at that point and you know the ordeal with Ellie.:) I hope things continue to go SO well. Adrian sounds like he is doing great. Will be glad when you get back. Ellie mentioned MaiLin twice yesterday.I hope the rest of your trip goes well.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    My name is Gwen and we are blessed to be a part of the New Day family. Our Sarah Mei has been home for over a year now!
    So glad to "meet" you and see how well Adrian is doing! We helped sponsor him and I was thrilled to hear he had been adopted and even more thrilled to be able to follow along on your blog!
    Thank you for sharing! You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear you were able to get outside a little today! And so glad the girls were feeling up to a swim with Baba. Adrian sounds like pure delight and we just can't wait to meet him. Kevin Ferrill loved to sing Thumpkin and the Wheels on the Bus too, New Day is an awesome place for these children of G! We love you all and are praying for continued monumental bonding for everyone!! Love the Boyd Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY on everyone feeling better, and getting to go outside. 75+ in the hotel room?! I'd be miserable. I'm thinking ahead to our trip, and the fact that Sarah is basically Adrian's age. I am so not prepared for her to be talking like that, and doing all he is doing. Thanks so much for sharing with us, it is helping me out a lot. :)

    I can not wait to see how much more comfortable he gets throughout these next weeks. {HUG}

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear you all are starting to feel a little better. I'm catching up on the most recent 4 posts...love the picture of Adrian looking out the window in his jammies, Carter likes seeing MaiLin doing her school work but I think he misses seeing her at school, and I LOVED MaiLin's comment about everyone else looking weird!!

    We love you guys and we will continue to pray...

    ReplyDelete